Excursion to holy places
One-day excursion to the Monasteries and Churches in the area of the city of Kavala, from the company "Kavala Tour"
Our journey to the Holy Places begins with a visiting the most important place in the region the Church of St. Gregory of the Theologian - where are kept most of the powerful saints. Church is located in the neighboring town of Nea Karvali and receives a huge number of believers from all the World.
Then we will go to a unique place in the north of the city of Kavala in the small village of Porto Lagos were is located the beautiful and picturesque Lake Vistonida. On 2 islands connected by a wooden bridge lacated the Monastery of St. Nicholas and the Church of Panagia Pantanassa which are the area home of the Vatopedi Monastery in Mount Athos.
Next we will visit a modern architectural monument - a unique and monumental temple of the Saint Lydia of Philippisias. This modern architectural masterpiece is located in the place where the Apostle Paul baptized the first Christian woman in Europe - Lydia, after which began a period of striking events seriously influenced the course of the history of world religion.
Our journey to the Holy Places ends with a visit the one of the most important shrines of Macedonia located at an altitude of 753 meters above sea level on the slope of Mount Pangeo - Monastery of the Holy Ikosiphenitsa, where is kept the “Miracle Icon of the Virgin Mary”. Pilgrims from all over the world are coming in the monastery in order to worship the icon.
Information about excursion to Holy places
• Excursion with a guide to the holy places carried out by car (1 - 4 people), minivan (up to 7 people), or mini bass (up to 18 people).
• The trip begin in the Kavala center (Hotel Oceanis), with visits of 4 Holy Places (in order): the Church of St. Gregory Theologian in Nea Carvali, the Monastery of St. Nicholas and the Church of Panagia Pantanassa in Porto Lagos, the Baptistry of Saint Lydia in Krinides and Monastery of the Holy Ikosifinissa on mount Pagueo.
• Duration of excursion is 8 hours, total length 250 km. and begin at 10:00
• During the excursion there is a stop for lunch in the old village of Krinides where is located the archaeological complex Philippi.
• The excursion can be carried out only by prior request which should be submitted at least 1 week before the planned trip date
• The price of an individual excursion by car (1 - 4 people) is 160 € for all.
• The price in a group excursion is 40 € per person.
• For children from 6 to 12 years old - 20 €. For children under 5 years old - free of charge.
• The lunch do not include in the price (entrance to the Monasteries and Churches is free)..
• You should have a passport as well as a camera and a great mood.
• For visiting the Monastery women should have their shoulders and head closed and a long skirt is compulsory (can be take at the entrance), men should have trousers or shorts (swimming trunks is prohibited).