Excursion to Athos - Halkidiki Peninsula
to the paradise of Greece, the homeland of the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle and to the border town with the monastic state - Ouronoupolis!
NOTE: the excursion takes place along the coast of the peninsula Athos to the border town with the monastic state - Uronoupolis. For visiting Mount Athos please follow this link.
The incredible beauty of the Halkidiki in the Aegean Sea, consists of three smaller peninsulas, and has been attracting pilgrims and tourists from all over the world for many years. The Halkidiki attracts people here for the sandy beaches of Cassandra (the first finger), for the sights of Sithonia (the second finger), and of course for the most beutiful Athos (the third finger), where we will make our excursion.
The peninsula of Athos is about 55 km long, and in width from 8 to 15 km and covers an area of about 350 square kilometers. The natural beauty of the peninsula is excellent. Mount Athos which dominates the peninsula is a huge cone with a height of 2.033 meters. Its bare top seems to touch the sky and its slopes are completely covered with ancient trees creating an incomparable natural beauty.
Our excursion to the Athos begins with a very important city of ANCIENT STAGIR, which was destroyed by King Philip II, but restored by his son - the Great Alexander, in gratitude for giving the world the greatest ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle. So we are at the birthplace of the legendary Aristotle, the disciple of Plato and the teacher of Alexander the Great.
Ancient Stagira is a small peninsula consisting of two hills separated by a narrow isthmus located at the beginning of the third finger of Athos near the village "Olympiada".A sensational discovery was made here by archaeologists in 2016 when 20 years after the excavation began in ancient Stagir were discovered fragments of the grave monument of the great philosopher Aristotle.
After visiting numerous excavations at the place of birth and burial of an ancient Greek scholar we will go to Aristotle Park. This is a modern complex located high in the mountains and dedicated to the philosopher himself and his inventions. On the territory of the park are various exhibits from the works of the great teacher “Physics” - sundial, telescope, compass, pendulum, water turbines, parabolic mirrors and other interesting things that you can not only see, but twist, touch, knock and even play on musical xylophone.
Further along an incredibly beautiful road of the coast of picturesque Athos, we will go to the very last place of the peninsula allowed for general visits - Ouranoupolis, a city with a very ancient history located on lands belonging to the Athos monastery Vatoped. Today it is a modern city with magnificent beaches and various landmarks. It is the main port from where depart ships to Mount Athos.
Information about excursion to the Athos - Halkidiki Peninsula
• Excursion with a guide to the ancient city of Amphipolis is carried out by car (1 - 4 people), minivan (up to 7 people), or mini bass (up to 18 people).
• The excursion starts from the archaeological site of the ancient Stagira in the Athos Peninsula. Departure from Kavala (city center, Hotel Oceanis) at 10:00.
• Duration of the Excursion is 8 hours, total length 350 km.
• The excursion can be carried out only by prior request which should be submitted at least 1 week before the planned trip date
• The price of an individual excursion by car (1 - 4 people) is 180€ for all.
• The price in a group excursion is 45 € per person.
• For children from 6 to 12 years old - 25 €. For children under 5 years old - free of charge..
• The ticket to the Park (1€) and dinner do not include in the price.
• You should have a passport as well as a camera and a great mood.
• We recommend that you wear light, casual clothing and comfortable, low-heeled walking shoes or sneakers, to have a hat and sunglasses.